Action for Pirbright and Fox Corner - click for full article
Keith Witham would like to thank everyone who gave their support to elect him as Borough Councillor for Pirbright on Thursday 6th May 2021. He was also re-elected to Surrey County Council for the Worplesdon Ward.
KEITH WITHAM - is a “single point of contact” on SCC and GBC issues for Pirbright residents, and aims to bring some “joined up thinking” to the two Councils. As your local Councillor, Keith's role is to work for the interests of everyone in the Ward regardless of how they voted.
Keith knows Pirbright very well, having been your County Councillor for nine years - as the summary below shows.
Since being your County Councillor, Keith Witham has always given priority to pressing for funding from Surrey County Council on your behalf for local projects and to be a strong voice for Pirbright and Fox Corner in local matters. The results, so far:
- Financial support for local voluntary organisations
- Local road safety and road improvements
- Support for local bus routes 28 and 91
- What else does Surrey County Council do for Pirbright & Fox Corner?
FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR LOCAL PIRBRIGHT AND FOX CORNER VOLUNTARY ORGANISATIONS - Keith Witham has sponsored the following grants...
One of Keith’s objectives as your County Councillor has been to secure County Council support for local groups, organisations and projects. So he is pleased to report support given to a wide range of projects locally including
• St Michaels and All Angels Church to help with installation of posts in the graveyard
• Raiders Performing Arts (youth marching band, meets Pirbright) for musical instruments and equipment
• Cunningham House, Pirbright and District Abbeyfield Charity Help with COVID19costs, and previously a grant for cavity wall insulation
• Pirbright Royal British Legion, for end of 1st World War Commemotative seat
• Lord Pirbright Hall playground equipment
• Pirbright Village Summer event, for publicity banners
• Pirbright Football Club, for new line marking machine
• Pirbright Cricket Club - grants for purchase of new balls for training and relaying the cricket ground playing area
• Knowle Hill School for security gate
• Pirbright Horticultural Society for amplification equipment
• Periwheels Support to help community transport scheme
• Pirbright Parish Council, for portable PA equipment
• Magna Carta Tapestry project, and the Guildford Embroidery Project based in Pirbright
• The Rawlins Club. cost of transport for a trip to Bletchley Park
• The former Pirbright Scarecrow Festival help with publicity
• Pirbright Primary School for winter maintenance equipment
• Sure Start Charity Family group (meets Pirbright) grant
• Surrey Search and Rescue charity purchase of communication equipment, including use on the Ranges
• Worplesdon and District Bridleway Association help with publicity, bridleway clearance and numbered bibs for events
• Fox Corner Wildlife Association support for replacement kissing gate and fence
• A new family and children's play area at the Beech Grove Recreation area, for use by both civilian and military families at Pirbright Camp
Local road and road safety improvements
UPDATE March 2021:
1. At the March Council meeting, it was agreed to provide funding, and approve, traffic calming and parking restrictions for Avenue de Cagney, Pirbright.
2. Keith Witham has secured support from Surrey County Council for a speed limit reduction on the Guildford Road between Pirbright and Fox Corner, and on Rowe Lane, from 60mph to 40mph, which was implemented in March 2021.
PIRBRIGHT WIDE Pirbright village wide road safety improvement schemes at various locations across the village including:
The most major one was GOLE ROAD. Following safety concerns about the Cowshot Bridge area of Gole Road, which is used by parents and pupils of Pirbright Primary School, Speed Limit reduction implemented improvements were made to existing road markings, new rumble strips installed, plus vehicle activated signs. Then anti-skid surfacing, a Vehicle Activated (flashing) speed sign, raised kerb, reinforced bollards, extra lighting. Additional traffic calming has also been requested for the residential stretch of Gole Road.
SCHOOL LANE PARKING also a long standing concern of residents and parents. At the request of Pirbright Parish Council, residents and the school, parking controls were introduced by Guildford Borough Council. Keith is currently pressing for additional traffic calming measures in School Lane where the road is most congested at school times.
- PIRBRIGHT PARISH COUNCIL was supplied with speed measuring equipment which it operates to help press for changes to speed limits and other road safety improvements such as crossing improvements, road cushions and road markings and signage.
• New flashing speed sign installed on Aldershot Road, near the Royal Oak approaching the bend
• New disabled parking bays outside St Michael and All Angels Church in church Lane
• Sandpits Car Park Safety improvements
• Pirbright Village Green flooding/drainage improvements
• New pedestrian island near Lord Pirbrights Hall .
LOCAL ROAD RESURFACING COMPLETED:
• A324 Aldershot Road - from Pirbright Green to Normandy
• Gapemouth Road • Grange Road • School Lane • Queens Road • Mill Lane• Guildford Road • Stanley Hill • Ash Road • Bisley Camp Road
SUPPORT FOR LOCAL BUS ROUTES
Bus routes 28 and 91 receive financial support from Surrey County Council.
Bus route 28 is now operated under contract to SCC by Falcon Buses, since the demise of the previous operator who ran it, but ceased operations without notice, and just dropped passengers off, and returned their buses to their garage! So SCC stepped in to get the service going again, Although the service has been running on a reduced timetable, it will revert to normal full hourly frequency on Mondays to Saturdays (from 6th April 2021). The hourly SUNDAY route 91 has continued unaltered with SCC support.
So what else has Surrey County Council ever done for residents in Pirbright and Fox Corner ?
• ADULT SOCIAL CARE On average, at any time, there are approx. 70 people in Pirbright / Fox Corner being supported by Surrey Adult Social Care, at a cost of over £1 million a year
• CHILDREN There are approx. on average at any time over 200 children in the Pirbright and Fox Corner area being educated in Surrey schools, at a cost of over £1 million a year
• TWO NEW FIRE STATIONS Two brand new "state of the art" Surrey County Council Fire Stations built and opened in Woking and Guildford.
STOP PRESS - TACKLING UNAUTHORISED TRAVELLER ENCAMPMENTS Keith Witham has been pressing for several years for new laws to control Unauthorised Traveller Encampments - to make these a Criminal Offence with criminal penalties, so that the Police can take faster, effective action. New laws are now going through Parliament.
And the sooner the better. Unauthorised Traveller Encampments, the clear up costs, more security for affected sites - just locally - at Jacobs Well, Fairlands, Normandy, Perry Hill, Pirbright and Worplesdon - have cost public funds (all of us) OVER £200,000 !!!
If you have any queries or comments please contact Keith Witham. email: email@example.com